main and dependent objects

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Thu Sep 13 11:22:46 EDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
> 2012/9/13 Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmichel at sequans.com>:
> >
> > Nothing shocking right here imo. It looks like a classic
> > parent-child implementation.
> > However it seems the relation between Obj and Dependent are 1-to-1.
> > Since Dependent need to access all Obj attributes, are you sure
> > that Dependent and Obj are not actually the same class ?
> >

> > JM
>
> Yes well the main class is already big enough, and the relation is
> 1-1
> but the dependent class can be also considered separate to split
> things more nicely..
>
> So I think it will stay like this for now and see how it goes.

Difficult to say given the meaningless names you provided. Just in case, you can still split things nicely in 2 classes and still get Dependent to be the same thing than Obj : by inheritance. It is a common way to extend one class's features.

class Obj
class Dependent(Obj)

But do it only if Dependent **is** actually an Obj.
If Dependent not an Obj but part of an Obj, then your original implementation is probably the way to go.

JM