avoid the redefinition of a function

D'Arcy Cain darcy at druid.net
Wed Sep 12 17:47:13 EDT 2012

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:37:11 -0400
Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> assures one that the test is being run. (I don't always test first, but
> I once discovered a test not being run when I modified it in a way that
> should have made it fail, but it didn't.)

1. Write the test
2. Run the test - make sure it fails
3. write code until test passes
4. Stop writing code

People underestimate the importance of steps 2 and 4.  Number 2 is
important because a test that can't fail is worse than useless.  Number
4 is important because it prevents code that doesn't have a
corresponding test.  If you feel the need to write more code then go
back to step 1.

And run all of your tests every day.  You will sleep better at night.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
IM: darcy at Vex.Net