pythonOCC examples doesn't work?

Dwight Hutto dwightdhutto at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 04:12:32 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 3:37 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/09/2012 08:19, Dwight Hutto wrote:
>>
>> So used to google, forgot to check the python docs:
>>
>> http://docs.python.org/faq/windows.html
>>
>> and this should be useful as well, which is from:
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5030362/how-to-use-opencv-in-python
>>
>>    "I suspect you have the same problem I've run into. If you have a
>> 64-bit
>> version of Python, it cannot load 32-bit DLLs. OpenCV currently only ships
>> 32-bit binaries. If you want 64-bit .pyd and .dll files, you have to
>> compile them yourself. There are some
>> instructions<http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/VisualC%2B%2B>on the
>>
>> OpenCV Wiki, but it's not for the faint of heart. Expect to have a
>> substantial time investment.
>>
>> The easiest solution is to:
>>
>>     1. Uninstall 64-bit Python
>>     2. Install a 32-bit distribution.
>>

>> The PythonXY distribution includes pyopencv -- a good set of OpenCV hooks.
>> The only limitation is that it's 32-bit, so don't make plans to process
>> gigapixel astronomy data with it! ;)
>>
>> If you *must* have the 64-bit version, follow these
>>
>> instructions<http://redkiing.wordpress.com/2010/10/03/opencv-and-visual-studio-2010-with-cmake/>to
>>
>> get it OpenCV to compile with Visual Studio 2010. There's a discussion
>> on stackoverflow that describes building 64-bit apps with VC Express."
>>

>> And again, check on the pywin mailing list
>>

> All very impressive, but as Dennis Lee Bieber has pointed out and which I
> suspected there is a binary incompatibility between the OP's Python version
> and pythonOCC version.

DIdn't see this, I was too busy helping the OP search for an answer,
and educate us both at the same time.

 Others would be able to see this for themselves but
> you insist on sending email without context.  Please don't do this.

How are my emails without context? I'm referring the OP to the docs,
as well as posts related to their question. It goes to use google, and
RTFM, and putting it politely to them.

I could summarize, but they have to do the real reading. I'm not
researching this, and if I was, I'd charge for the time. This is to
show that things can get complex if you don't use google, or read the
docs.

Why does the OP keep asking here, when there are answers out there.
especially on the pywin list, which Windows users are usually referred
to.

Please point out what's out of context. The links and references place
it into context if the OP finds them useful, and I believe I searched
well for them.

Would the OP like to tell me I wasn't helpful? Because now they're
probably on a search to figure out how to make these compatible, which
means more questions, and more reading.

Plus the OP said he's on 64. Read the quote from stackoverflow:

   "I suspect you have the same problem I've run into. If you have a 64-bit
version of Python, it cannot load 32-bit DLLs. OpenCV currently only ships
32-bit binaries. If you want 64-bit .pyd and .dll files, you have to
compile them yourself. "

A different program, but roughly the same in analogy, I do believe.

And where in here was the OP referenced to the python docs on windows:

>> http://docs.python.org/faq/windows.html

Was that out of context as well?

Let's not argue about this, I was pointing them to what I saw as the
best possible resources to overcome his current problem, and it was
all in context of the conversation as far as I'm concerned.

--
Best Regards,
David Hutto