Defining features in a list

M Whitman mgwhitman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 11:21:50 EDT 2012

Dave- By features I was refering to items in the list.  For background the arcpy module is used for geoprocessing of geographic information.  I'm using my script to get totals for features in a dataset that I receive on a regular basis- for example total number of hydrants, total number of hydrants with null or missing attributes, and total number of hydrants with outlining attributes.

I am experienced particularly with the arcpy module and I am trying deligently to become more experienced with Python in general.  My goal is to fetch values by name and then print output by name. print WS_Hyd and then see "484".   I have some experience with class definition but a dictionary might be the way to go.  I was understanding the response of the Arcpy module but hadn't understood why the list wasn't being defined in my previous loop statement.  I appreciate the response.  I will look into dict if you have a class definition suggestion I will run with that.  Thanks