Looking for an IPC solution

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Thu Sep 6 06:04:21 EDT 2012

>> How about the standard multiprocessing module? It supports shared
>> memory, remote processes, and will most probably work under PyPy:
>> http://docs.python.org/library/multiprocessing.html
>>
> I always thought, that the multiprocessing module does NOT use shared
> memory (at least not under windows)
It uses mmap() under windows. (I'm not an expert, but this is what I was
said by others.) I did not know that multiprocessing can be used over
TCP/IP. :) Probably I'll use zmq instead, because it has other nice
features (auto reconnect, publisher/subscriber, multicast etc.)

> I would be very interested in a cross platform shared mem solution for
> python.
> Could you please point me to the right section.

As far as I know, POSIX compatible shared memory does not exist on
Windows. I remember a thread about this on the PostgreSQL mailing list -
the Windows version of PostgreSQL somehow emulates shared memory too. I
wanted to use shared memory because response times are much faster than
TCP/IP.