simple client data base

Wolfgang Keller feliphil at gmx.net
Mon Sep 3 12:03:27 EDT 2012

> Hello all, I am learning to program in python. I have a need to make a
> program that can store, retrieve, add, and delete client data such as
> name, address, social, telephone number and similar information. This
> would be a small client database for my wife who has a home accounting
> business.

<hint>

Python imho would be in need of a really good accounting application as
a "demonstrator" for its capabilities. ;-)

</hint>

> I have been reading about lists, tuples, and dictionary data
> structures in python and I am confused as to which would be more
> appropriate for a simple database.
>
> I know that python has real database capabilities but I'm not there
> yet and would like to proceed with as simple a structure as possible.

The list of Python frameworks for rapid development of desktop
(i.e. non-Web) database applications currently contains:

using PyQt (& Sqlalchemy):
Pypapi: www.pypapi.org
Camelot: www.python-camelot.com
Qtalchemy: www.qtalchemy.org

using PyGTK:
Sqlkit: sqlkit.argolinux.org (also uses Sqlalchemy)
Kiwi: www.async.com.br/projects/kiwi

using wxPython:
Dabo: www.dabodev.com
Defis: sourceforge.net/projects/defis (Russian only)
GNUe: www.gnuenterprise.org

Pypapi, Camelot, Sqlkit and Dabo seem to be the most active and best
documented/supported ones.

Sqlalchemy (www.sqlalchemy.org) seems to be "quite useful" for working
with databases. Those of the above mentioned frameworks that don't use
it do so for historic reasons, because the corresponding project started
before Sqlalchemy became known.

If you want to rely on not losing your data, you might want to use
PostgreSQL (www.postgresql.org) as a storage backend with any of these.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

P.S.: If anyone knows of frameworks not listed here, thanks for mailing
me.