Flexible string representation, unicode, typography, ...

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 11:56:50 EDT 2012

On 03.09.12 09:15, Peter Otten wrote:
> wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:
>> Le dimanche 2 septembre 2012 14:01:18 UTC+2, Serhiy Storchaka a écrit :
>
>>> Hmm, and with locale.strxfrm Python 3.3 20% slower than 3.2.
>>
>> With a memory gain = 0 since my text contains non-latin-1 characters!
>
> I can't confirm this. At least users of wide builds will see a decrease in
> memory use:

And only users of wide builds will see a 20% decrease in speed for this
data (with longer strings Python 3.3 will outstrip Python 3.2). This
happens because of the inevitable transformation UCS2 -> wchar_t and
wchar_t -> UCS2 on platform with 4-bytes wchar_t. On Windows there
should be no slowing down.