PipeController v0.1 - experimental tool to simulate simple UNIX-style pipes in Python

vasudevram vasudevram at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 16:56:37 EDT 2012

On Monday, September 3, 2012 1:05:03 AM UTC+5:30, vasudevram wrote:

> To Ian Kelly:
> > No, that deals with actual Unix pipes. This appears to be about pipelined
> > processing within a single program and not IPC; the description "Unix-like"
> > is a bit misleading, IMO.

> I guess it can be interpreted as a bit misleading, but it was not intentionally so. The way I meant it was that PipeController tries to achieve _roughly_ similar functionality, of composing a program out of components, as UNIX pipes do.

To Ian again:

Also, I used the word "synchronous" somewhat deliberately  (see in my blog post: "PipeController is a tool to experiment with a simple, sequential, synchronous simulation of UNIX-style pipes in Python.").

I used the word synchronous to indicate that my PipeController implementation runs the functions one after another (for each item in the input), in contrast to actual Unix pipes, where the different commands in a pipeline can, and IIRC, do, run in parallel / asynchronously, with their IPC being coordinated / managed by the kernel and shell.