running Lua in Python

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Sep 2 15:26:54 EDT 2012

Arnaud Delobelle, 02.09.2012 21:17:
> On 2 September 2012 19:42, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> Arnaud Delobelle, 02.09.2012 20:34:

>>> Mmh it seems to be lua 5.1 and more importantly it seems to require a
>>> custom build of Python, which I don't want.
>>
>> I have no idea why you say that, for neither of the two.
>
> * For the custom build of Python on OS X, this blog post:
>
>     http://t-p-j.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/lupa-on-os-x-with-macports-python-26.html
>
> which is actually linked to in lupa's own INSTALL.rst file

Ah, ok, but that's a) a rather old blog post and it b) refers to LuaJIT,
not plain Lua. Just because LuaJIT requires special build flags doesn't
mean that Lupa or Lua do.

> * For Lua 5.1, the official LuaJIT page:
>
>     http://luajit.org/luajit.html
>
> where I quote:
>
> """
> LuaJIT implements the full set of language features defined by Lua 5.1.
> """
>
> Of course I'd be glad to be proved wrong on both counts.

I was told that it works with Lua 5.1 and didn't try it with Lua 5.2
myself. But I think you should, if that's what you want to use.

Stefan