newbie ``print`` question

gwhite gwhite at ti.com
Sun Sep 2 13:23:53 EDT 2012

I can't figure out how to stop the "add a space at the beginning"
behavior of the print function.

>>> print 1,;print 2,
1 2

See the space in between the 1 and the 2 at the output print to the
command console?

The help for print is:

"A space is written before each object is (converted and) written,
unless the output system believes it is positioned at the beginning of
a line."

So it is apparently doing what it is supposed to do.

Is there a way to stop this?  Or is there a different function that
will only print what you have in the formatted string?

For example, in MATLAB I only had to do:

>> fprintf('1');fprintf('2')
12

 fprintf works the same way if printing to a file.  It only puts in
what you explicitly tell it to put in.