Flexible string representation, unicode, typography, ...

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 2 04:58:14 EDT 2012

On 02/09/2012 08:36, wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:
> Le jeudi 30 août 2012 17:01:50 UTC+2, Antoine Pitrou a écrit :
>>

>> I honestly suggest you shut up until you have a clue.
>>
> Désolé Antoine,
>
> I have not the knowledge to dive in the Python code,
> but I know what is a character.

You're a character, and from my observations on this thread you're very
humorous. YMMV.

> The coding of the characters is a domain per se,
> independent from the os, from the computer languages.
>
> Before spending time to implement a new algorithm,
> maybe it is better to ask, if there is something
> better than the actual schemes.

Please write a new PEP indicating how you would correct your perceived
deficiencies with PEP 393 and its implementation.

> I still remember my thoughts when I read the PEP 393
> discussion: "this is not logical", "they do no understand
> typography", "atomic character ???", ...

When PEP 393 was first drafted how much input did you give during the
acceptance process, if any?

> Real world exemples.

Why the unneeded continuation character, fancy wasting storage space?

> ...     'noétique', 'noèse', 'noirâtre']
> ['noduleux', 'noël', 'noèse', 'noétique', 'nœud', 'noir',
> 'noirâtre']

What has sorting foreign words got to do with the internal representaion
of the individual characters?

> (cf "Le Petit Robert")
>
> or
>
> The *letters* satisfying the requirements of the
> "Imprimerie nationale".
>
> jmf

I've just rechecked my calendar and it's definitly not 1st April today.
  Poor old me I'm baffled as always.

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.