Obnoxious postings from Google Groups

Robert Miles robertmiles at teranews.com
Wed Oct 31 01:39:02 EDT 2012

On 9/16/2012 8:14 PM, alex23 wrote:
> On Sep 17, 10:55 am, Roy Smith <r... at panix.com> wrote:
>> They didn't buy the service.  They bought the data.  Well, they really
>> bought both, but the data is all they wanted.
>
> I thought they'd taken most of the historical data offline now too?

Some of it, but they still had my newsgroups posts from 15 years ago
the last time I looked.

They appear to have taken most of any Fidonet data offline, though.

They appear to be taking some of the spam and other abuse offline
after it's reported by at least two people, but rather slowly and
not keeping up with the amount that's posted.

For those of you running Linux:  You may want to look into whether
NoCeM is compatible with your newsreader and your version of Linux.
It checks newsgroups news.lists.filters and alt.nocem.misc for lists
of spam posts, and will automatically hide them for you.  Not available
for other operating systems, though, except possibly Unix.

NoCeM
http://www.cm.org/nocem.html

bleachbot
http://home.httrack.net/~nocem/