OT Questions

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 13:57:34 EDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Joshua Landau
<joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com> wrote:
> I feel necessity  to argue against this point.
>
> It is a common thing to stereotype teens in this way - but, being teen
> myself, I feel one should try to avoid it. It's painful to watch every time
> someone claims "he can't be a teenager - his spelling/grammar is too good"
> or any derivation of it, as with the inverse concept that the uneducated are
> always teenagers.
>
> i have techers who type lke this, and I have teachers who type very
> professionally.
> I have peers of my age group who meticulously craft their online
> conversations, n i no BFFs who dun b like that.
>
> How someone speaks on the internet seems to me proportional almost entirely
> to their intelligence*, not to their wisdom. Sure, there is an age where
> one, no matter how bright, will speak like trash, but this normally
> coincides with an inability to speak well, too. Most older teenagers have as
> good a grasp on language as they will ever learn, so it hardly applies to
> them.

The aggressive defensiveness had me thinking intelligent *younger*
teenager, actually, possibly a tween.  Mostly though the idea was
based on what I had seen of his website, which reminded me of some of
the ambitious efforts of myself and my peers when I was around that
age myself.  In any case, he's claimed to be older, so with no real
evidence to the contrary, I will take his word for it.

> * Note that I speak not of IQ or problem-solving ability, but more of a
> general social intelligence that can be seen in almost any poster on this
> list.

My social intelligence is pretty darn low in real life, but I like to
think that I comport myself reasonably well on the net.