while expression feature proposal

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 20:27:32 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> I would like a better iter(), rather than a better while loop. It is
>> irritating to pass in functions that take arguments, and it is
>> impossible to, say, pass in functions that should stop being iterated
>> over when they return _either_ a None or a, say, False.
>
> Write a trivial helper function. Not everything has to be a one-liner or
> a built-in.

You are missing the point. I was suggesting that the use case of new
syntax might be satisfied instead by new functions, which are clearly
preferable to new syntax from the perspective your rebuttal comes
from.

Indeed, one could write those helper functions, and use them, without
any changes to Python being made at all!

-- Devin