Quickie - Regexp for a string not at the beginning of the line

Rivka Miller rivkaumiller at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 16:53:33 EDT 2012

Hello Programmers,

I am looking for a regexp for a string not at the beginning of the
line.

For example, I want to find $hello$ that does not occur at the
beginning of the string, ie all $hello$ that exclude ^$hello$.

In addition, if you have a more difficult problem along the same
lines, I would appreciate it. For a single character, eg < not at the
beginning of the line, it is easier, ie

^[^<]+<

but I cant use the same method for more than one character string as
permutation is present and probably for more than one occurrence,
greedy or non-greedy version of [^<]+ would pick first or last but not
the middle ones, unless I break the line as I go and use the non-
greedy version of +. I do have the non-greedy version available, but
what if I didnt?

If you cannot solve the problem completely, just give me a quick
solution with the first non beginning of the line and I will go from
there as I need it in a hurry.

Thanks