while expression feature proposal

Thomas Rachel nutznetz-0c1b6768-bfa9-48d5-a470-7603bd3aa915 at spamschutz.glglgl.de
Thu Oct 25 05:52:31 EDT 2012

Am 25.10.2012 06:50 schrieb Terry Reedy:

> Keep in mind that any new syntax has to be a substantial improvement in
> some sense or make something new possible. There was no new syntax in
> 3.2 and very little in 3.3.

I would consinder this at least as new substantial than

     yield_from it

as opposed to

     for i in it: yield i

- although I think that was a good idea as well.

Although there are quite easy ways to do so, I would appreciate
something like the proposed

    while EXPR as VAR: use VAR
    if EXPR as VAR: use VAR

Of course it is possible to construct a respective workaround such as

     def maybe_do_that():
         if moon == full:
             with something as val:
                 yield val

     for val in maybe_do_that():
         bla

but I would consider this as an abuse of the generator concept.

Thomas