while expression feature proposal

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Oct 25 00:50:59 EDT 2012

On 10/24/2012 7:19 PM, Evan Driscoll wrote:
> On 10/24/2012 05:26 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>> But I'm still -0 on it, because it supplants the glaringly obvious:
>>
>>    m = ...
>>
>> assignment with the far less in your face:
>>
>>    possibly-long-expr as m
>>
>> and I think it would get quite heavily used, to the detriment of
>> assignment readability in general. At present the nature of most effects
>> is at the left. An assignment is obvious on the left, an if/with/while/etc
>> is visible at the left.
>
> In the interest of brainstorming, what about
>
>     while VAR from EXPR:
>
> or something like that? I don't think I like 'from' on a couple counts,
> but there's probably some word that fits.

The op wondered if these proposals have been made before. They have
been, and have been rejected. Some of the discussion has been on
python-ideas list. But go ahead and brainstorm and discuss.

Keep in mind that any new syntax has to be a substantial improvement in
some sense or make something new possible. There was no new syntax in
3.2 and very little in 3.3.

--
Terry Jan Reedy