Fast forward-backward (write-read)

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Wed Oct 24 09:47:51 EDT 2012

On 10/23/2012 4:35 PM, emile wrote:

> So, let's see, at that point in time (building backward) you've got
> probably somewhere close to 400-500Gb in memory.
>
> My guess -- probably not so fast.  Thrashing is sure to be a factor on
> all but machines I'll never have a chance to work on.

I went looking for a machine capable of this and got about halfway there
with http://www.tech-news.com/publib/pl2818.html which allows up to
248Gb memory -- near as I can tell the price for the maxed out system is
$2,546,200. Plus $3k/mo maintenance. Memory's still not quite enough,
but I'll bet it's fast.  And a lot more reasonable at $1000 per Gb of
memory particularly when contrasted to the $1000 I paid for a single Mb
of memory back in 1984 or thereabouts.

Emile