The pty module, reading from a pty, and Python 2/3

Evan Driscoll edriscoll at wisc.edu
Tue Oct 23 23:41:10 EDT 2012

OK, one more self-reply. :-)

I found http://bugs.python.org/issue5380 which seems to be relevant.
Sounds like the OS is returning an error, and that's naturally being
propagated through Python. And further testing reveals the problem only
surfaces when the child actually exits -- if the child writes data to
the pipe and is more enthusiastic about living, then the parent can read
it successfully. While it'd be nice if my example worked, for my actual
purpose I think that's good enough (I just won't be able to test *quite*
as easily for a while).

I am still curious if anyone know why it worked in 2 though.

Evan