Fast forward-backward (write-read)

Cousin Stanley cousinstanley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 16:03:39 EDT 2012

Virgil Stokes wrote:

> Not sure about "tac" --- could you provide more details on this
> and/or a simple example of how it could be used for fast reversed
> "reading" of a data file ?

  tac is available as a command under linux ....

  $ whatis tac
  tac (1) - concatenate and print files in reverse

  $ whereis tac
  tac: /usr/bin/tac /usr/bin/X11/tac /usr/share/man/man1/tac.1.gz

  $ man tac

  SYNOPSIS
    tac [OPTION]... [FILE]...

  DESCRIPTION

    Write each FILE to standard output, last line first.

    With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.

  I only know that the  tac  command exists
  but have never used it myself ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being