A desperate lunge for on-topic-ness

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 16:22:18 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 22:43:07 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>>> Er, no. Note spelling of "source code" vs "souce code". Hence the grin.
>>
>> Ahh. I totally didn't see that, I'm way too used to reading past typos.
>
> As a programmer, doesn't that screw up your debugging ability?

Reading-past-typos applies mainly to English, which is a pretty
redundant language. In code, it would only apply to variable names;
with (effectively) single words/tokens standing alone, the automatic
correction doesn't really apply. But yes, sometimes I have stared at a
piece of code for a long time without knowing why there's an error on
line X. (This is another good reason to require that all variables be
declared, incidentally. I might have a variable called "source" but
not "souce", so using the other causes an instant compile-time failure
on the exact line with the bug.)

And Grant, I agree; PHP does not make life easy.

>> Sure. Printing out *source* code, that's altogether different.
>>
>> Me, though, I don't print anything. Paper and I are not exactly on
>> speaking terms; the last time we met, he cut me, and that's one of the
>> rudest things you can do to someone.
>
> Man, you must have deserved it. Paper, he don't just cut anybody.

Perhaps. Also, perhaps I've just finished Hell Week and am behaving
less than sanely, with a strong tendency to quote/reference Through
The Looking Glass. :)

ChrisA