A desperate lunge for on-topic-ness

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Oct 21 16:19:08 EDT 2012

In article <k61i2o$63u$1 at reader1.panix.com>,
 Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 2012-10-21, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 22:43:07 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> >> Ahh. I totally didn't see that, I'm way too used to reading past typos.
> >
> > As a programmer, doesn't that screw up your debugging ability?
>
> Indeed it does.

The human brain is amazingly good at real-time error correction.  For
the most part, this improves communication since it lets people make all
sorts of minor errors in both spoken and written language without
seriously degrading comprehension.

The down-side is that you hear (and read) what you're expecting to hear
(or read).  This makes us really suck as things like finding typos in
variable names.

> I spent a half hour the other day trying to figure out what was wrong
> with a line of PHP code, when it was nothing but a mis-spelled
> variable name.  [I've only been working with PHP a short time, but
> have quickly grown to dislike it.]

Of course, the same can happen in Python.  I could do:

foo = "default value"
if blah == 47:
   fooo = "some other value"
print foo

No syntax error, no NameError, just the wrong thing printing.  This does
not in any way detract from the fact that PHP is a horrible language.
Trust me, if you continue to use it, your dislike for it will only grow.
It is truly evil.  Have you discovered "unexpected
T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM" yet?