A desperate lunge for on-topic-ness

DJC djc at news.invalid
Sun Oct 21 10:06:59 EDT 2012

On 20/10/12 15:18, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2012-10-20, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> 	Strangely, we've gone from 80-character fixed width displays to
>> who-knows-what (if I drop my font size I can probably get nearly 200
>> characters across in full-screen mode)...
>>
>> 	But at the same time we've gone from 132-character line-printers
>> using fan-fold 11x17 pages, to office inkjet/laser printers using 8.5x11
>> paper, defaulting to portrait orientation -- with a 10 character/inch
>> font, and 1/4" left/right margins, we're back to 80 character limitation
>> <G>
>
> True, but nobody prints source code out on paper do they?

I print source code. Usually when the development has got to a stage
that the program works but needs a lot of tidying up. It's a lot more
comfortable than scrolling up and down screen to look through pages from
the comfort of an armchair. Also I can take the listing to a Café and
write notes all over it. Sometimes removing the temptation to
immediately hit the keyboard is a good thing.