Is there a way to programmatically turn on remote registry?

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Fri Oct 19 16:18:41 EDT 2012

Kevin Holleran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have written a script to poll some registry values but remote registry is turned off through GPO on the
> network I need to run it against.  The account running the script is an admin on these boxes.  Is there a way
> for me to turn on remote registry for the duration of the script's runtime?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Kevin

No personal experience but the web says you need to enable the remote
registry service[1]. You can start and stop services in Python using
win32serviceutil[2].

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754820.aspx
[2] http://fuzzytolerance.info/using-python-to-manage-windows-services/

Ramit Prasad