Python does not take up available physical memory

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Fri Oct 19 15:38:54 EDT 2012

Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Pradipto Banerjee
> <pradipto.banerjee at adainvestments.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to read a file into memory. The size of the file is around 1 GB.
> > I have a 3GB memory PC and the Windows Task Manager shows  2.3 GB available
> > physical memory when I was trying to read the file. I tried to read the file
> > as follows:

> Is this Python 2 or Python 3? Just throwing a random possibility out
> there, could it be that reading it in and converting it to Unicode
> text requires more memory than you have?
>
> My recommendation: Unless you actually need to search the whole file
> as a single string, iterate over the file instead:
>
> for line in open(filename):
>     # do something with line

If you (OP) are in Python 2.5+ I would do the following instead.

with open(filename) as f:
    for line in f:
        # do something with line

This will automatically close the file when it is done. I doubt
it will help with memory issues, but closing files after you
are done with them is a Good practice.

Ramit Prasad