Python does not take up available physical memory

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Fri Oct 19 15:17:29 EDT 2012

Emile van Sebille wrote:
> On 10/19/2012 10:08 AM, Pradipto Banerjee wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to read a file into memory. The size of the file is around 1
> > GB. I have a 3GB memory PC and the Windows Task Manager shows  2.3 GB
> > available physical memory when I was trying to read the file. I tried to
> > read the file as follows:

> > I got a "MemoryError". I was watching the Windows Task Manager while I
> > run the python command, and it appears that python **perhaps** never
> > even attempted to use more memory but gave me this error.
> >
> > Is there any reason why python can't read a 1GB file in memory even when
> > a 2.3 GB physical memory is available?
>
> The real issue is likely that there is more than one copy of the file in
> memory somewhere.  I had a similar issue years back that I resolved by
> using numeric (now numpy?) as it had a more efficient method of
> importing content from disk.
>
> Also realize that windows may not allow the full memory to user space.
> I'm not sure what exactly the restrictions are, but a 4Gb windows box
> doesn't always get you 4Gb of memory.

Windows (by default) limits user space of a 32 bit machine to 2 GB.
This is a bit old but I think still applies to pre-Win7.
(scroll down to "32-bit Client Effective Memory Limits" )
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/07/21/3092070.aspx

Offhand, I am not sure how this works in Win7, but for 32-bit clients
I doubt it has changed much.