Python on Windows

graham grahams at tectime.com
Fri Oct 19 09:24:34 EDT 2012

On 16/10/2012 12:29, graham wrote:

> Downloaded and installed Python 2.7.3 for windows (an XP machine).
>
> Entered the Python interactive interpreter/command line and typed the
> following:
>
>      >>>import feedparser
>
> and I get the error message "No module named feedparser".
>
> There is a feedparser.py file lurking around - so I suppose Python
> cannot find it.
>
> Anyone: What to do?
>

> GC

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Python was installed in the subdirectory C:\Python27 with the file
feedparser.py residing in C:\Python27\Lib\email.

Setting the Windows environment variable (which did not previously
exist) to C:\Python27\Lib\email allowed me to import feedparser
successfully.

However, it seems that this feedparser module is not the module I wanted.

I'm trying to follow an introductory Python course from the magazine
Linux Format (issue number 120 I think). The article includes the
following lines:

>>> import feedparser
>>> url = “http://weather.yahooapis.com/forecastrss?p=UKXX0637&u=c”
>>> data = feedparser.parse(url)

This is fine using Ubuntu (after installing the feedparser package) but
now, running XP I get

>>> data = feedparser.parse(url)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'parse'

So there seems to be at least 2 feedparser modules - the one I have does
not include "parse". How can I identify the correct one? How do I

This is all confusing and frustrating.

Some searching suggests I need the 'universal feed parser' code. I can
find documentation for this but no code/module file. Is it available
only for Unix-like OS's?

GC