Fwd: system tray or notification area in python

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Fri Oct 19 07:00:51 EDT 2012

Daniel Fetchinson <fetchinson at googlemail.com> writes:

> But I have zero experience with gui programming in python. So any
> pointers would be much appreciated how to implement a system tray in
> python. Gtk is I guess just one option, one could use other stuff from
> python but I wouldn't know what the simplest approach is.

Well, when I went to download stalonepanel, SourceForge said I might be
interested in PyPanel as well. Which is a "lightweight panel/taskbar
written in Python and C for X11 window managers." It includes a system
tray. Fairly old though but I suppose it could be a start? Apparently it
uses python-xlib.