A desperate lunge for on-topic-ness

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 12:26:10 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Evan Driscoll <driscoll at cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
>    Python isn't as bad as C++ though (my main other language), where
>    80 characters can go by *very* quickly.
>
> 2. Backslash continuations are *terrible*. I hate them with a firery
>    passion. :-) A line could be 1000 characters long and it would be
>    better than a 120-character line backslash-continued.

I have one mid-sized C++ project at work that's pretty much
exclusively under my control. There is precisely ONE place where
backslash continuations crop up, and that's long strings that want to
be formatted on multiple lines (eg huge SQL statements) - in Python,
they'd be trip-quoted. We don't have *any* backslash continuations in
Python code.

ChrisA