A desperate lunge for on-topic-ness

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 11:49:45 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Zero Piraeus <schesis at gmail.com> wrote:

> :
>
> Okay, so, first thing vaguely Python-related that comes to mind [so
> probably not even slightly original, but then that's not really the
> point]:
>
> What are people's preferred strategies for dealing with lines that go
> over 79 characters? A few I can think of off the bat:
>
> 5. Perform an otherwise pointless assignment to a temp variable on the
> previous line to make it fit.

I tend to favor this one, #5.

In fact, I tend to do lots of "otherwise pointless" variables, because I
want to be able to quickly and easily insert print statements/functions
without having to  split up large commands, during debugging.

IOW, I don't like big, long one-liners. They tend to be less clear than
using lots of intermediate variables, and when you go to debug them you
often end up splitting  them up anyway.