A desperate lunge for on-topic-ness

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Thu Oct 18 09:59:18 EDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 2012-10-18, Zero Piraeus <schesis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What are people's preferred strategies for dealing with lines that
> > go
> > over 79 characters? A few I can think of off the bat:
>
> I try to do what's easiest to read and understand.  Sometimes that
> means using a line thats 120 characters long, sometimes that means
> breaking up the line.

Imo, def. a good approach to the problem. Mark's also pointed the fact that the guidelines themselves state that rules are made to be broken when they need to be.
The 79 char limit purpose is to allow someone to read the code on a 80 char terminal (and allow old printers to print the code). If following this rules breaks readability for all other terminals, meaning 99,99% of them, you know what to do.

JM