unittest for system testing

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Thu Oct 18 01:23:28 EDT 2012

On 10/17/2012 08:22 PM, Rita wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, I use a shell script to test how my system behaves before I
> deploy an application. For instance, I check if fileA, fileB, and fileC
> exist and if they do I go and start up my application.
>
> This works great BUT
>
> I would like to use python and in particular unittest module to test my
> system and then deploy my app. I understand unittest is for functional
> testing but I think this too would be a case for it. Any thoughts? I am not
> looking for code in particular but just some ideas on how to use python
> better in situations like this.

You have perhaps a different meaning for deploy than I do.  An app is
deployed at installation time.  After that, it is simply run.

I think you're saying that you have some extra sanity checks that you
test before you RUN the application.  If so, why aren't they just part
of the main script?

If you're not comfortable putting it there, you could put it in a simple
module that gets imported and called by the main script.

I can't see ANY connection between this and unit testing, with or
without frameworks.  Are you planning to run your test suite each time
the user runs your application?  Can he really wait an hour or three for
it to get started?

--

DaveA