Aggressive language on python-list

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 20:44:38 EDT 2012

On 18 October 2012 00:17, Steven D'Aprano
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:10:34 -0700, rurpy wrote:

>>> I would also assume that ignoring a post means not replying on or off
>>> list.
>>
>> Then I hope my reply to Chris clarified that for you as well.
>>
>>> Moreover, I think it's unfortunate for you to make this comment with an
>>> irrelevant reference to Asperger's syndrome. I'll give you the benefit
>>> of the doubt that you didn't mean it this way but the comment is easily
>>> interpreted as being disparaging to people with Asperger's.
>>
>> Yes, on rereading that, I agree it was uncalled for and I retract it and
>> apologize to any who may have been offended by it.
>
> Excuse me, I think that anybody who was offended by it needs to take a
> long, hard look at themselves. Would you be offended if Rurpy asked "Are
> you diabetic?" There's no more shame in being Aspie than there is in
> being diabetic, or allergic to wheat, or colour blind.

(rurpy, I know you already regret what you said so I'm not trying to
rub it in but I want to respond to what Steven said)

Steven, I almost followed that up with a post pointing out that it was
also quite offensive to you. But then I thought: No, Steven can look
after himself!

You're right, of course. There is nothing wrong with Asperger's. I
don't see much wrong with saying "Do you have Asberger's by any
chance?" (apart from the South-Park style mis-spelling) but I do see
something wrong with following it up with a patronising "Can you
understand..." as if only the other party having Asperger's can
explain your inability to understand one another.

To put it another way, I could say:

    You're an idiot. Why can't you understand the simple things I say?

which is rude but it's rude at one (relevant) person. Instead I could
choose to say:

   Do you have Down's? Can your mongoloid brain just not understand me?

which is rude at so many irrelevant people (I find it difficult to
write that since my cousin and some other very lovely people I know
have Down's but I that's roughly how I interpreted rurpy's comment the
*first* time I read it).

It came across to me as an offensive comment both to you and to people
with Asperger's that I would not tolerate generally. It is retracted
so I hold no ill will and don't want to dwell on it. In fact the very
quick retraction is a good thing to happen in relation to the many
things discussed above in this thread.

Oscar