unittest for system testing

Rita rmorgan466 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 20:22:21 EDT 2012

Hi,

Currently, I use a shell script to test how my system behaves before I
deploy an application. For instance, I check if fileA, fileB, and fileC
exist and if they do I go and start up my application.

This works great BUT

I would like to use python and in particular unittest module to test my
system and then deploy my app. I understand unittest is for functional
testing but I think this too would be a case for it. Any thoughts? I am not
looking for code in particular but just some ideas on how to use python
better in situations like this.