list comprehension question

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 18:34:08 EDT 2012

On 17 October 2012 06:09, Dwight Hutto <dwightdhutto at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM, Kevin Anthony
> <kevin.s.anthony at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it not true that list comprehension is much faster the the for loops?
>>
>> If it is not the correct way of doing this, i appoligize.
>> Like i said, I'm learing list comprehension.
>>
> I thought it was matrix multiplication mixed with list comprehension.
>
> Check this out real quick from the docs for list comprehension, but if
> it's a mixture of matrix multi, and list comp, then reply back.
>
> http://docs.python.org/tutorial/datastructures.html#list-comprehensions

If you're looking for a fast solution then you should follow David's
suggestion and use numpy:

> http://www.scipy.org/FAQ#head-045cba7978d75ec548822222150fa6ad308e325a
>
> www.python-course.eu/matrix_arithmetic.php

The most relevant numpy function is numpy.dot:
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.dot.html

Oscar

P.S. David, it was a bit fiddly for me to quote your response because
the relevant part was in a post that had no context. Also your name is
listed as Dwight above. That is automatically added by gmail because
of the settings in your own email client. You may need to change your
account settings if you want it to say David when people quote you.