Aggressive language on python-list

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 15:20:14 EDT 2012

On 10/17/2012 12:16 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 3:48 AM,  rurpy wrote:
>>On 10/16/2012 08:45 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>> Except that you've made a 180-
>>> degree turn from your advice to "ignore" bad behaviour, but apparently
>>> didn't notice that *sending private emails* is not by any definition
>>> "ignoring". So apparently you don't actually agree with your own advice.
>>
>> Do you have Asberger's by any chance?  Can you understand that
>> I said "ignore" in the context of public discussions in this
>> newsgroup/maillist?
>
> That's nothing to do with Asperger's. Ignoring something/someone does
> not include sending a private message. What you may be trying to say
> is that we should refrain from publicly responding to bad behaviour,
> which is not the same thing. If you want to pull a Humpty Dumpty and
> use "ignore" to mean "not respond to in public", then go ahead, I'm
> not stopping you - but do please make it clear somewhere in your post.

I thought (and think now) that it was quite clear in
context that "ignore" was to be taken relative to what
was being discussed -- responding in this list.

Did you seriously think I meant you weren't supposed
even read it?  That you must not print it out and burn
it in effigy?  That you can't mention it to a friend as
an example of something that pissed you off that day?
That you can't write a blog entry about it?  That you
can't report it to law enforcement if you thought it was
threatening?  I see responding privately to the poster
in exactly the same vein.

Ignore it *on the list*.

I hope that makes it clear enough?