easy_install says "not a recognized archive type" Windows Py3

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 09:24:40 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Noah Coad <noah at coad.net> wrote:
> error: Not a recognized archive type: c:\users\noahco~1\appdata\local\temp\easy_
> install-gpekqc\PyMySQL-0.5.tar.gz

Nobody seems to have responded to this (or I haven't seen it), but it
looks like your system can't extract gzip files. Suggestions found on
other fora (at the opposite end of a Google search) point to possibly
using pip instead of easy_install; alternatively, you may be able to
install a Windows gzip utility, though I don't know anything about
linking that up with easy_install.

Sorry I can't be of more help! But maybe bumping this thread will
bring it to someone's attention who actually knows.

ChrisA