Aggressive language on python-list

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Oct 17 02:24:27 EDT 2012

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:25:38 -0700, alex23 wrote:

> I really don't get people who feel they need to share their opinion when
> that opinion is that other people shouldn't share theirs.

+1 QOTW

It makes me laugh when newcomers to this group stick their head up to
chastise us for arguing about the culture of this group. The irony is
that that is *precisely* what they too are doing.

In an ideal world, we'd all agree on what counts as acceptable behaviour,
and stick to it, and discuss nothing but Python coding problems. But we
don't live in an idea world, and there are disagreements and people
behaving badly, and arguments about such, and meta-arguments about the
arguments.

Welcome to humanity.

And more importantly, welcome to democracy -- this is not a dictatorship,
there is no Supreme Glorious Leader who decides what is on- and off-
topic, no Thought Police to ban you for straying from the straight and
narrow of what is allowed. And thank goodness for that. I've been on
lists that do have such policies, and they tend to give lousy advice
badly and have a culture of group-think.

Sure, it's frustrating to have to hit delete on a bunch of posts you
don't care about. But that's true regardless of the topic or the list.
Last night I deleted about 300 emails about designing a new asynchronous
library that I had no desire to take part in. Did I post an angry screed
calling it BS? No I did not, because I'm aware that even if I'm not
interested in it, it is a part of Python culture and *somebody* needs to
deal with it. I'm just glad its not me.

--
Steven