OT Questions

Dwight Hutto dwightdhutto at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 20:55:38 EDT 2012

I'm not sure whether or not this is a troll, but I'll bite.

No, not a troll, I've been around these lists for a while, and a few
wild arguments stemming from both my ego, and some other programmer's
arrogance.

> If you're going to ask for people's opinions on your work, I would try to
> keep the negativity in a list to zero.

If a flame on you pops up, you sometimes fight fire with fire. There
are a lot of things that get mixed up. Like maybe a personal reply
instead of reply all, that everyone else missed, or didn't see another
thread in which the argument started.

 I'm relatively new to this list and
> the tirades that you've gone on have been childish at best.

You haven't been on lists long enough then to have seen some real
flame warts...no offense.

 Doing that and
> then turning around and asking for useful feedback (if you're genuinely
> looking for it) is not going to yield much.

It does from those who I trust as not going to go into rants, such as
I have, but mine are usually in response, and yes they do get nasty at
times.

> Now that that's over..
>
> I couldn't get to your oDesk profile, got an empty page. That *could* be
> caused by the dead zones that I'm hitting atm, but I gave up after a few
> tries.

It's there, and it's a starter portfolio for other freelance sites
looking for work.

> I then went to your website and here's what I can see from a glance. This
> isn't meant to be harsh or slag you personally, but learn what you're doing
> before you attempt to create a company to help others. If you *do* know what
> you're doing, use your site to showcase that. Nobody will hire someone with
> a business site like your current site:

It's in a design phase, and I'm asking the local experts to critique
it, and even be harsh.

> * You have a bloated, 50+MB gif serving your page contents. That's just bad
> for obvious reasons

It was meant as more of a commercial to show a little more umph in my
site presentation, and I'm working on reducing the size through
several different means.
.
> * There's no DOCTYPE declaration in your HTML.
> * You have <div>s mixed in pre-<body>
> * You don't have a <head> container

Working on it buddy.

> * You have embedded music. Not only is this a bad design choice from a UX
> perspective, but it's also causing the client to load more

I know this, and I'm trying to reduce it, but show something that's appealing.
.
> * You have *no* SEO

Not yet, and the graphic has no text for the web crawlers to parse,
which I'm aware of, as well as no meta tags

> * You have commented out HTML

This is the design phase, and that will be removed.

> * You don't have any design sense (not a personal attack, I don't have any
> either).

I kind of like my designs, and they're being refined through these
conversations.

> My suggestions:
> * Take courses (free or paid) on web development. Udacity has a few good
> ones.

I like w3schools.com, and I know that it's a rough draft, and so
should my critics.

> * Apply your learnings to your site. Showcase what you can do and what you
> know and what you can do.
> * Look for a designer partner, someone who can make your work visually
> appealing. The visuals are the first impression (after initial load times).

I like to work alone, and his is an attempt to get others in the OS
community to comment.

> Now having said all of that, if this is a troll, I feel rather foolish.

Only trolling for fish under the bridge...clients

--
Best Regards,
David Hutto