MySQL with Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 10:01:58 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM, রুদ্র ব্যাণার্জী <bnrj.rudra at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
> I am starting a project of creating a database using mySQL(my first
> project with database).
> I went to my institute library and find that, all books are managing
> "mySQL with perl and php"
>
> I am new to python itself and gradually loving it. I mostly use it as an
> alternative of shell-script. Since learning a new language for every new
> project is not possible(its self assigned project, generally in free
> time), can I do a "mySQL with python?"
>
> if yes, can you kindly suggest a book/reference on this?

It's definitely possible. As far as I know, though, there's no inbuilt
support, so you'll need an add-on module. What platform are you
running on? On Debian Linux, for instance, you can simply "apt-get
install python-mysqldb".

But you may wish to consider using PostgreSQL instead. It's a
generally better database engine than MySQL, and is equally well
supported:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PostgreSQL

Actually, to be quite honest, I'm surprised there's no module in the
Python stdlib for either of the above. Possibly because there are
several competing options.

ChrisA