Feedback on my python framework I'm building.

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Sun Oct 14 18:38:35 EDT 2012

On 10/14/2012 08:48 AM, Roy Smith wrote:
> In article <507a3365$0$6574$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
>  Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>
>> Remember using PEEK and POKE commands with BASIC back in
>> 1978? Pretty much impossible in Python.
> But, trivial to implement as an extension :-)
PEEK and POKE were intended to be used with memory mapped devices.
Simplest example is the 6502 chip, which had no I/O bus -- it was all
memory mapped.  Want to change baud rate?  poke a byte somewhere.

These days, the only device I can think of that's usually memory mapped
is the video.  And few programs talk to it that way.

Now, INP and OUT (or various similar names) were for doing port I/o.
But I suspect that modern systems aren't going to let you do much of
that either.

--

DaveA