Aggressive language on python-list

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 18:09:42 EDT 2012

On 13 October 2012 22:35, Tim Delaney <timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 October 2012 08:22, Roel Schroeven <roel at roelschroeven.net> wrote:
>
>> Zero Piraeus schreef:
>>
>>  :
>>>
>>> Not sure exactly how to put this ...
>>>
>>> I'm a mostly passive subscriber to this list - my posts here over the
>>> years could probably be counted without having to take my socks off -
>>> so perhaps I have no right to comment, but I've noticed a marked
>>> increase in aggressive language here lately, so I'm putting my head
>>> above the parapet to say that I don't appreciate it.
>>>

>> Same here. I've been lurking here for a number of years, and I've always
>> regarded this list as an example of friendly civilized behavior, quite
>> exceptional on the Internet. I also have the impression that situation is
>> changing for the worse, and it worries me too.
>

> If everyone *plonks* the jerks/trolls/bots/etc and no one responds to
> them, they won't have an audience and will either go away; act out more
> (but no one will see it); or reform and become a useful member of the group
> (probably needing to change email addresses to be un-*plonked*).
>
> The problem is mainly when people respond to them. That's what they want -
> it gives them an audience. No matter how much you want to *just this once*
> respond to one, resist the urge.

I agree up to here.

> And if you can't prevent yourself from replying to someone who has quoted
> one in order to tell them that the person is a known troll/bot, tell them
> privately, not on the list.

I don't know.  If it's not publicly obvious that the person if a trollbot,
then other people may miss it. Many doubted 88888's being a bot, and if
it's not open it may take a lot longer for people to spot the obvious.

A response to someone who quotes a trollbot just stating "*Username* is a
trollbot." where *no* further correspondence occurs doesn't seem like
trollbotbait to me, and it makes it easy for people to know who's been
warned.