How to use "while" within the command in -c option of python?

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Fri Oct 12 20:29:48 EDT 2012

On 10/12/2012 06:51 PM, Herman wrote:
>  python -c "import os; while True: print('hello')"
>  File "<string>", line 1
>  import os; while True: print('hello')
>                       ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
See the recent thread:
   "for-loop on cmd-line"

The problem has nothing to do with the command line, it's caused by
trying to use a keyword 'while' somewhere other than the beginning of
the statement.

I'll ask you the same question I had:  why do you bother?  What's wrong
with making a separate file for the source code?

But as for solutions, first question is what OS you're running on.  If
not Windows, you can probably use \n at appropriate points.

If that's not good enough, what about simply running the script instead
of a batch file?

If that's not good enough, how about merging the two languages, with a
trick like starting the python code with rem = """  followed by the
shell script?

There are many others, but we cannot choose without knowing your other
constraints.

--

DaveA