Basic JSON question: Do I really need the quotes

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Oct 12 20:03:44 EDT 2012

In article <cbd2f125-38ca-4f46-9077-95de0cf7ea6f at googlegroups.com>,
 moogyd at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> I need to define some configuration in a file that will be manually created.
> [...]
> json seemed a quick an easy way of achieving this

JSON would not be my first choice for a file which needs to be
maintained by hand.

I've only recently started using a system that has YAML config files.
I've quickly become enamored of the format for config files.  I don't
know if it's capable of expressing everything you can with JSON, but it
certainly can do anything you would reasonably want to put in a config
file, it's easy to read, and easy to hand-edit.

> The problem is that I don't want to make users have to type redundant
> characters.

I think what you're saying is, "My users would prefer YAML over JSON" :-)