for-loop on cmd-line

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Thu Oct 11 16:40:55 EDT 2012

On 10/11/2012 09:40 AM, Gisle Vanem wrote:
> "Dave Angel" <d at davea.name> wrote:
>
>> it has nothing to do with being on a command line.  You're using
>> semicolon to combine several statements, and there are restrictions on
>> what can be combined that way.  One restriction is the looping
>> constructs, for, if, while.
>
> Ok, I suspected something like that.
>
>> You can do it easily enough with a list comprehension.  Let us know if
>> you can't work that out.
>
> Later. I'm only scratching the surface of Python.
>
>> Any reason why you don't just make a one-file python script, and run
>> that instead of your one line batch file?
>
> I though of calling that python line from a C-program using
> popen() and parsing the output. Since popen() on Win32 AFAIK doesn't
> accept multiple lines, I guess I must write a .py-file to %TEMP first.
>
> Thank to all.
>
> --gv

Why would you write some C-program just to save having two separate
files, one batch and one for the script?  For that matter, several
answers have given you approaches that didn't involve list
comprehensions, including merging the two in a single file, using an
initial variable of rem="""

What are your real constraints?  Are you just playing code-golf?

--

DaveA