Private methods

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Oct 10 09:08:05 EDT 2012

In article
<1krpdak.u0qy9e1a4knspN%real-not-anti-spam-address at apple-juice.co.uk>,
 real-not-anti-spam-address at apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote:

> Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On 09/10/2012 14:24, D.M. Procida wrote:
> > > What exactly is the point of a private method? Why or when would I want
> > > to use one?
> > >
> > > Daniele
> > >

> > Hardly a Python question but using a search engine could have got you
> > here, and rather faster :)
> >
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2620699/why-private-methods-in-the-ob
> ject-oriented
>
> Thanks. Sometimes I prefer to talk to real people on Usenet than do web
> searches. Just my preference.
>
> Anyway, one of the answers on that page explains that public methods are
> interfaces to a class, that other things might rely on, and private ones
> are for its own internal logic, that other things don't need to care
> about.
>
> In Python, using an underscore is simply a convention to note that a
> method is private - it doesn't actually hide it from other things -
> correct?

Yes (modulo some details of how import works that I've never fully
figured out and which lack of knowledge hasn't seemed to have hurt me
any).

I view public and private in Python this way:

Public: I hereby declare that this method or attribute is part of the
promised never to change interface of this class.  I might possibly
break that promise at some point in the future, but if I do, you have
the right to bitch and whine about it, and I'm morally obligated to at
least pretend I care.

Private: I hereby declare that this method or attribute is something I
needed to have for my own purposes, and is officially hidden inside my
kimono.  Like all things inside my kimono, you may speculate about their
existence all you want, but you touch them at your own peril.  I may
change them at some point in the future, and while you can bitch and
whine about it all you want, I'm not listening.