mangled messages (was: Unpaking Tuple)

Jussi Piitulainen jpiitula at ling.helsinki.fi
Tue Oct 9 08:05:42 EDT 2012

Tim Chase writes:
> > [snip mess]
> >>
> >> Since that's not the way it arrived here, i have to ask, how do you
> >> get these posts?
> >
> > I see a carriage return rendered as ^M at the end of every line from
> > Prasad's messages. Other than that, they are well-formatted plain text
> > for me, too.
> >
> > I guess Prasad's system sends \r\n instead of \n\r (the DOS line-end)
> > and \r\n gets interpreted as a stray \r followed by end-of-line.
>
> Prasad's system is correctly sending the "right" order (DOS
> line-ends are CR+LF = \r\n, not the other way around).

You are right. I managed to confuse myself about the order of the two
characters while staring on a source that says the opposite of what I
said (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline).

Doubly sorry about the noise (being both off-topic and incorrect).

> However, it might be that there is no CR+LF on the last line, or
> that one line is missing the CR, so your viewer heuristic (vim does
> this) thinks it has Unix NL-only line-endings and shows the ^M on
> all the lines that have the CR.  All for one stray line without.

That doesn't sound robust. The problem is still quite rare for me.

> Prasad's email came through cleanly here (gmane + Thunderbird).

I'm on Gnus in Emacs, probably a few years out of date.