how to run shell command like "<<EOT .... EOT"

叶佑群 ye.youqun at eisoo.com
Sun Oct 7 20:53:46 EDT 2012

于 2012-9-29 19:53, Kushal Kumaran 写道:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 6:18 AM, 叶佑群<ye.youqun at eisoo.com>  wrote:
>> 于 2012-9-28 16:16, Kushal Kumaran 写道:

>>> The "<<EOT" syntax (called a here-document) just provides input to the
>>> command.  If you use the communicate method, you can provide input as
>>> an argument:
>>>
>>> command = ["sfdisk", "-uM",  target ]
>>> instructions = """
>>> ,1000,83
>>> ,,83
>>> """
>>> pobj = subprocess.Popen(command, stdin=subprocess.PIPE,
>>> stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
>>> (output, errors) = pobj.communicate(instructions)
>> I tried this, but it is still not work.
>>
> What do you mean by "not work"?
Sorry for replying so late, these days are long vocation in china.

If I type command in shell line by line, the command will run as
expected, but when I invoke the command in python, it is always failed.
Which is what I mean "not work".

> - If you get an exception, copy the entire traceback into an email
No exception occured.

> - If you do not get an exception, print out the value of the "errors"
> variable to see why the command failed.  You can also check
> pobj.returncode for the exit status of the subprocess.
I solved this problem as below:

fop = os.popen ("sfdisk -uM %s <<EOT\n,%d,83\n,,83\nEOT\n" % (target, fps))

But when I run it with subprocess.Popen (), it doesn't work as os.popen
even use the code as:

command = ["sfdisk", "-uM",  target ]
instructions = """
,1000,83
,,83
"""

pobj = subprocess.Popen(command, stdin=subprocess.PIPE,
stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
(output, errors) = pobj.communicate(instructions)

stderr.readline () always return the error message means "sfdisk won't accept more than one device parameter except -s or -l is specified", it seems that some parameters were incorrectly treated