Coexistence of Python 2.x and 3.x on same OS

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 03:27:41 EDT 2012

Using Python on Windows is a dream.

Python uses and needs the system, but the system does
not use Python.

Every Python version is installed in its own isolated
space, site-packages included and without any defined
environment variable. Every Python can be seen as a
different application.
Knowing this, it is a no-problem to use the miscellaneous
versions; can be with the console, with an editor, with
.bat or .cmd files, with the Windows "start menu" launcher,
... like any application.

The file extension is a double sword. Do not use it or
unregister it, the msi installer allows to do this.
It is the same task/problem as with any file, .txt, .png, ...

The new Python launcher is a redondant tool.

A point of view from a multi-users desktop user.

----

In my mind, it is a mistake to deliver a ready
preconfigurated installation.

"TeX" (I may say, as usual) is doing fine. A "TeX"
installation consists usually only in "TeX" engines
installation/configuration. It let the user work the
way he wishes.

jmf