Executing untrusted scripts in a sandboxed environment

Robin Krahl me at robin-krahl.de
Fri Oct 5 18:22:38 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I need to execute untrusted scripts in my Python application. To avoid security issues, I want to use a sandboxed environment. This means that the script authors have no access to the file system. They may only access objects, modules and classes that are "flagged" or "approved" for scripting.

I read that I will not be able to do this with Python scripts. (See SandboxedPython page in the Python wiki [0] and several SE.com questions, e. g. [1].) So my question is: What is the best way to "embed" a script engine in a sandboxed environment that has access to the Python modules and classes that I provide?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
    Robin

[0] http://wiki.python.org/moin/SandboxedPython